03 October 2015

Hello surface!

tulip bulbs!
the tulip bulbs are eager to go underground again...

It almost seems to have become a yearly ritual, returning to this virtual home of a blog in October. I like the term "resurfacing", as if life takes part under the surface of the earth for a period, seemingly inexistent...until it suddenly pops up again, showing its face. Springtime in autumn, hehe.

Well, most of my invisible, underground work in the previous months consisted of dealing with Dad's Alzheimer's and the changes it brought to his and our lives, and working on my Master's thesis for art history (which I finished in August). It has been a turbulent period but we're all in a better place now than we were before. And in the mean time I've also been adjusting to a new town, to this new (old) house and a neglected garden that I've been tending to.

Creatively I haven't been as prolific this past year as I wanted, as I needed to focus on other issues. So even my creativity went underground. Luckily the garden has been a great teacher. Getting my hands dirty, learning about the soil, the plants, doing garden archeology, finding "treasures" (well... mostly just rusty beer bottle caps really, lol) and learning about the people who lived here before and how they treated the garden... And the best thing about a neglected garden, is that your imagination can take it anywhere!

Off you grow! Have a look at the garden journal on flickr and the inspiration for it on Pinterest.


2 comments:

  1. Kristien, may your fall groundings emerge with wonders next spring !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful wish, thank you so much, Terry! :-D

      Delete