09 October 2015

reading by candlelight: "The creative habit" by Twyla Tharp

Work? What I live for. 
Play? Work.
This is a little snippet from Tharp's creative autobiography, one of the exercises in the book. It gives you an idea of how she writes: I love her direct and accessible language, and even just in the words you can feel the rhythm and movement coming through - she dances in her texts!

I've been looking for a certain lecture she gave (in the 90's I think) where she was talking and started to make little movements with her hands and body as a companion to her words. It was fascinating! Words can only express so much, I love how she emphasised it with her movements. I can't find it right now but will keep looking and post it when I do. For now, if you're not familiar with her vast oeuvre, have a look at her homepage: www.twylatharp.org

Tharp, Twyla & Reiter, Marc. The creative habit: learn it and use it for life: a practical guide. Simon & Schuster, New York, 2003. Worldcat

No comments:

Post a Comment