07 September 2009

glass + copper. No more, no less.


Two materials I've been wanting to combine for a long time. They go together so well, and I was eager to work on a project in which I could combine the techniques I had learned for each medium. Sawing out the forms in copper, sanding them, designing the murrini at the torch, arranging them and firing the little squares (the "gardens") in the kiln, and finally setting them in the panel. It took me about a month.

The grass green glass was my red thread. It's one of my favorite transparant shades -it reminds me of summer and the sun shining through leaves...it just makes me happy. So I used that in all the green murrini, but mixed the shades with other colors.

When seen from afar you can just make out the colors of the glass squares and read the quote, but as you come closer you see more colors and finally all the murrini. It is quite detailed, the squares are each 5 x 5 cm, the murrini between 1 and 7 mm each. The whole piece measures 15 x 78 cm (without the bar and the chains).

"Nur der Mensch schafft einen Garten, niemals die Natur. Sie sehen also, wie unsere Entwicklung vor der Intervention des Bewusstseins abhängt. Es gibt zwar den Faktor der Entwicklung, der Evolution in der Natur, aber sie vollzieht sich langsam, sie benötigt Millionen von Jahren."

C. G. Jung, Traumanalyse

The garden is a metaphor for our own creative process. A garden doesn't occur naturally, we create them consciously. But a garden is also a reflection of nature, so by creating one we tap into the same creative process as nature uses and connect with her within ourselves. And that brings balance.

That's why creating is so vital to us...

work in progress pictures:
www.flickr.com




www.flickr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment