07 October 2015

the kick wheel

potter's wheel

So I was in need of a potter's wheel for the ceramics studio, searched for it for a long time. Electrical throwing wheels are pretty expensive, and my "studio" (which is just the old garage) doesn't have any electricity yet, so I got this rather romantic idea of finding an old mechanical one; a kick wheel. I envisioned hauling it into the garden during the summer and working en plein air... (yeah, I guess I have some hippy tendencies! Hehe)

This machine is operated by kicking the big wheel underneath with your foot, which takes some getting used too coordinating hands and foot... it also turns a lot slower than an electrical wheel, although you wouldn't get that impression from my silly little time-lapsy video. Enjoy the demonstration and an unimpressed Assepoes!

kickwheel

first attempts on the kickwheel - timelapse

No comments:

Post a Comment